First of all, I want to thank Mrs Wolfie for tagging me in this fun Halloween post. Please visit her blog and subscribe, she has some wonderful posts. I never get tired of reading them. I also snagged her image for this meme.
Alright, let’s get started.
In order to take part in this tag:
- Thank the blogger who tagged you and link their post
- Put the rules after an introduction, then answer the 13 questions
- Tag 13 more bloggers to participate in the game
- Use these same Halloween questions, or create new ones of your own
Now time for the questions.
What’s your favorite thing about October or Halloween?
Everything…. crafts, food, parties, decoration, music, movies, books… you name it. I think it’s now my favorite holiday, maybe after Christmas, or maybe tied with Christmas.
How much do you spend on Halloween?
I use to spend several hundred dollars of Halloween decorations and even gifts for the kids. Things have changed drastically. I live in the sticks so I have very few trick or treaters, if any, and I don’t decorate like I use to. But I still love to plan like I do.
What do you think the average person spends on Halloween goodies & does it match what you spend?
I’m sure it’s much more than what I use to spend. If I had the ability, I could easily spend a thousand dollars… per week.
Does social media influence how much you decorate for Halloween, causing you to spend more?
Nope, it’s all on me. Unless you count YouTube.
Do you buy or create your Halloween costumes and what was your favorite costume so far?
I don’t think I’ve ever bought a Halloween costume. We have always made them, often using second hand clothes or what we had lying around. My favorite is still my old witch costume. Now I just wear my normal daily stuff and that’s scary enough.
Share a trick you have played on someone at Halloween.
When I had my daycare, I spent the afternoon decorating the playroom for Halloween. Everything I owned, which was a lot. We had already carved jack o’lanterns so I put them all down there with candles inside and then I turned off the lights and turned on the video camera. When the door opened and all they saw was darkness and pumpkin faces glowing they stopped dead in their tracks. Finally, they walked all the way in and started laughing. We had a Halloween party that afternoon and that night they all came back with their parents for the planned Halloween party. It was a great day. I miss those kids.
Do you have a favorite Halloween treat?
Only one?? I love pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Candy corn… I usually fill a clear glass pumpkin shaped candy dish full of it. Sweet and sour wings that we called bat wings. Any kind of pasta like mac and cheese (it’s orange) or spaghetti or this one (but I would use tomato juice instead of beets).
BLOODY RED WINE PASTA WITH MOZZARELLA BATS
- 3cups water
- 1(750 ml) bottle red wine, 1/4 cup reserved
- 1(15 ounce) can cooked sliced beets, beet juice reserved
- 1lb linguine
- 5garlic cloves
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3cup heavy cream
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 2tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into bat shapes
- Combine water, red wine and beet juice (around 3/4 cup) in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add linguine and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta. Set aside.
- Add beets, remaining 1/4 cup red wine, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, 1/2 cup parmesan and a pinch of salt and pepper to a blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the beet mixture into a saucepan. Add the reserved cooking liquid and heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Add the sugar, remaining parmesan and a pinch of salt. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Garnish with fresh mozzarella bats and parsley.
What is something you can do with a pumpkin once Halloween is over?
You’re suppose to do something else with the pumpkin? I imagine you could put in the compost. If you have a compost pile.
Do you consider pumpkin a fruit or a vegetable?
I haven’t a clue. I’ve never thought about it before.
What is the scariest food you’ve ever eaten?
Beets!! See above.
Do you have a favorite Halloween drink?
Hot spiced wine or Halloween eggnog (commercial eggnog with a scoop of orange sherbet and a splash of 7up.
People usually spend money on Halloween, but have you ever made money related to this holiday?
I wish. So far nothing. I don’t think that’s bound to change.
What’s your favourite scary book or movie?
I’m not into scary or horror, although my kids got me use to watching Scream. They watched it so often that it finally became funny and I could recite all of the dialogue. Yeah, not a good thing. I’m with Mrs. Wolfie…. The Addams Family, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Beetlejuice Dracula: Dead And Loving It. My two favorites are Hocus Pocus and Practical Magic (reading the brand new book, third of the series that this movie is based on). I also love Bell Book and Candle and Nightmare Before Christmas.
Okie dokie… let’s tag some fellow bloggers: